About Me

Texas
After years of wanting to adopt a baby girl, we've finally decided it's time. And we can't wait!

Friday, March 30, 2007

Oprah I love you BUT.....

You really upset me with the show you had on yesterday. One of the segments was on the new HPV vaccine, which is recommended for young girls. I have been well aware of this new vaccine for some time now, especially since our Governor Rick Perry has mandated that ALL girls entering the 6th grade must get the vaccine next year. Fortunately, we are in the process of over turning this mandate! Actually, I've been aware of this vaccine for a long time because Merck has had those "One Less" commercials on every station for the past year. Actually, Merck aired the "One Less" commercial first, without the vaccine information, for a long time in order to scare young girls about getting cervial cancer. Then, after months of scaring young girls and parents, TaDaa they have a vaccine that will "protect" you from getting cervical cancer. How convenient! I'm sure you can tell that I'm not a big fan of this vaccine, or any vaccine for that matter, and I'm especially not a big fan of pharmaceutical companies who make BILLIONS off of getting people sicker. But of course this is just my opinion!

Anyway, Oprah had this show yesterday and she had this "expert" who was there to give you all the reasons why this vaccine is so great. I absolutely LOVE and ADORE Oprah and LOVE her show because in my opinion she is always right on. Well, that was until yesterday. Why didn't she have someone on the show to give the other side of the story. About how most women with HPV infections do not develop cervical cancer. Usually the infection disappears without any treatment, because the woman’s immune system has been successful in fighting the virus. About how cervical cancer is one of the most successfully treatable cancers, and how the cervical cancer death rate has declined by 74% between 1955 and 1992, in large part due to the effectiveness of Pap smear screening and the death rate continues to decline each year. Or about how 60% and 80% of American women with newly diagnosed invasive cervical cancer have not had a Pap smear in the past 5 years, and many of these women have never had a Pap test. In fact, most invasive cervical cancers are found in women who have not had regular Pap tests. Why didn't she tell people this! Most people have or have had HPV just like most people have Herpes (if you've had a cold sore then you have Herpes!). People get "things", but THE POWER THAT CREATES THE BODY, ALSO HEALS THE BODY, and we fight it off! If you're unhealthy and don't take care of the body that God gave you then things happen and you get sick. So stay healthy! There's NO need to inject toxins into your body. Like my husband always says, "When can man EVER make things BETTER than GOD!"

FYI- Most statistics I got were from the "American Cancer Society"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON! Best of luck in your Journey! Lee

jenn said...

Just found your blog today and I haven't read past your first post, but I can not say enough how much I agree with you!!!
I feel the exact same way about the ChickenPox vaccine. Most children that get extremly ill from the chicken pox are usually so due to lack of care...it is sad and it is getting harder to find kids that have it so my kids can get it and move on with life knowing they have the same natural immunity to it as I do. Understand I know sometimes, in rare occasions, people get it again when adults. I wonder in 20 years if the vaccine will still be as effective to the then 30 yr olds who had the vaccine as babies...as adults this is when chicken pox is dangerous.
Off soapbox, sorry!
Going to go read more of your blog.

Elaine said...

This post rocks! And Jenn, if you come back to read more comments, no, the chicken pox vaccine will not be as effective in 20 years. They have already figured out that after about 8 years it is almost 100% innefective. This is changing the course of the disease in America as it is now affecting people as they get older, rather than when they are young, and now Merk is coming up with a booster shot. Greaaaat. I also have not been able to find any kids with chicken pox so that I can expose my own kids.

Michelle said...

Wow! I learn something new everyday. Good to know!

Tatum Rebelle said...

SO, unfortunately I bought into all of the hype about the vaccine and started getting the series of the $600 vaccine. I don't know why since I do not get other vaccines and agree with you about pharmaceutical companies. I guess it is easy to be persuaded when the news, doctors, and even Oprah are telling you that something is wonderful. I have lost several family members to cancer and figured anything that would lessen my chances of getting it is worth a shot. In hindsight I just paid someone to stick a painful needle in my arm 3 times while making the Dr and pharmaceutical company a little richer.

Live and learn.